How Often Should You Replace Your Cabin Air Filter?
When it comes to maintaining a new car, there are several aspects of auto maintenance that people instinctively think about, from oil changes and wiper blades to tire rotations and replacements. One item that often eludes people’s attention, though, is the cabin air filter. It’s an easy, affordable thing to replace, especially when you visit your local service center near Alexandria. But what does a cabin air filter do, and how often should you have yours replaced?
What is a Cabin Air Filter?
What does a cabin air filter do? Located on most vehicles behind the glove compartment, the cabin air filter is responsible for filtering the air that enters the cabin of the vehicle through the heating and AC system. This piece of equipment is critical to keeping air quality healthy inside your vehicle, as it filters out things like:
- Mold spores
Over time, a clogged cabin air filter will become inevitable, which will affect your vehicle’s interior air quality. You may now be asking, “How do I know when to change a cabin air filter?”
When Should I Replace My Cabin Air Filter?
Unfortunately, many people don’t even realize they have a cabin air filter, much less that it needs to be replaced! It’s essential to keeping your cabin’s air quality high, though, so it’s something you’ll want to stay on top of.
The time period for replacing your cabin air filter is dependent on the make, model, and year of your vehicle, so you’ll want to check your owner’s manual for verification. In general, though, most cabin air filters should be replaced somewhere between every 15,000 and 30,000 miles. You may also notice any of the following signs:
- Reduced air flow when climate control systems are on
- Lingering unpleasant odors
- Increasing dust settling on vehicle surfaces
Where Should I Get My Cabin Air Filter Replaced?
Replacing a cabin air filter can be a simple task in most vehicles.
How to change a cabin air filter:
- Take a look at your owner’s manual. Here, you can find where the air filter is located for your specific vehicle. This will determine how difficult or easy it is to replace the cabin air filter.
- The cabin air filter should be easily accessible if it is behind the glove box or under the hood. However, if it is under the dashboard, this could present more of a challenge.
- Protect yourself by wearing gloves and a mask. Sometimes, removing the dirty air filter can get a bit messy.
- Replace the old air filter with a new, clean one.
If you prefer to leave this task to the professionals, thankfully cabin air filter replacements aren’t going to cost you an arm and a leg, with prices ranging from around $40 to $80 for parts and labor. If you’re a driver around greater Dulles, then you can get your cabin air filter replaced without an appointment by taking advantage of VW Service Express here at Lindsay Volkswagen. Check out our current service coupons, schedule service online, or simply stop in and see us at 22455 Lindsay Cars Court in Sterling, VA. Our service center is open Monday through Saturday, and you can reach us by phone at (844) 230-4218.