How to Remove a Car Battery
Your car battery is crucial to the overall health of your Volkswagen vehicle. It helps start your car, keep it running, and it powers all the electrical components. If you notice signs of damage, or if it’s been a while, it may be time to remove or replace your battery. While it’s not an overly complicated task, make sure you’re doing it right to avoid injury with a few tips from the Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles service center!
Batteries are powerful enough to power a car, which means they are also powerful enough to harm you. The most important step to replacing your battery is to wear insulated work gloves and safety goggles. Make sure your car is turned off, as running vehicles can produce a spark. After that:
- Get some zip ties or other form of restraint to keep the battery cables in their proper place. If they touch, it create sparks and become a fire hazard, so preventing them from touching is important.
- Cover the positive cable end with a cloth once it is removed to avoid the risk of metal-to-metal contact
- Take off any jewelry — including necklaces, watches, and bracelets — to prevent getting a shock if they come in contact with the battery.
- Ensure you’re in a well-ventilated area to prevent exposure to harmful gases.
If the terminal is fused, use a special battery cable removal tool to get it loose. You’ll find these available from the Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles parts departments and general auto parts stores.
Once you’ve properly prepared, follow these steps to safely remove your battery:
- Find the negative terminal. It should have a black plastic cover or a minus sign and will be located either on the post or in close proximity.
- Take hold of the bolt head of the negative terminal with a wrench or pliers and hold it still.
- Use other pliers or wrench to remove the nut, then pull off the negative cable and secure it away from the battery.
- Repeat the above step for the positive cable, taking care that the two battery cables do not touch
- If the battery is held by a securing bracket, use your pliers or wrench to take out the screws and bolts that hold it in place.
- Lift the battery straight out of the bracket. Keep in mind that it may weigh up to 40 pounds.
Learn More at Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles
For more information on how to safely remove your car battery, or for other helpful maintenance tips and tricks like how to unlock a steering wheel or how to change your oil, take the trip from Springfield or Alexandria to Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles! We can also teach you how to distinguish between a bad battery and a failing alternator. If you have any questions, be sure to contact us.
More from Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles
If you’re driving a 2020 Volkswagen Jetta in Tysons Corner, you’ve got a reliable and dependable sedan that’s perfect for busy families and solo drivers alike. The Volkswagen Jetta accessories that Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles has to offer will make your ride look excellent as you drive through town, from Volkswagen Jetta rims to other great VW accessories. While…
You shouldn’t have to go broke at the pump just to have a high-performance SUV. Volkswagen understands that, which explains the impressiveVolkswagen Atlas gas mileage. The 2021 Atlas comes in several 4-cylinder models or V6 models. No wonder it’s so popular with our Sterling customers. Fortunately, you can find the Volkswagen Atlas right now at…
People in Tysons Corner who love the bold stylings of the Volkswagen Atlas but want something a little bit smaller in size and price can find something great in the 2020 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport. This car is built with the care and attention to detail you can only expect from a German manufacturer. Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles will…
What will you find inside the Volkswagen Tiguan? This 3-row SUV has one of the largest cargo capacities in its class, and the cabin is packed with intuitive tech features that you and your passengers will love on long rides. In the guide below, we’ll take a closer look at the Volkswagen Tiguan interior amenities…
The Volkswagen Atlas review is in for the new Cross Sport model. Industry experts are already generating a lot of buzz about this new model – and for good reason! See what the latest Volkswagen Atlas review of the Cross Sport has to say before stopping by Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles for more details. We can’t wait to…
The Volkswagen Passat is available with a plethora of fun and helpful accessories to help you customize your vehicle. From stylish alloy wheels to floor mats and emblems, you can buy all sorts of genuine Volkswagen Passat interior accessories and exterior accessories to enhance your drives around Sterling. Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles has a fully stocked parts department ready to…