How to Remove a Car Battery
Your car battery is crucial to the overall health of your Volkswagen vehicle. It helps start your car, keep it running, and it powers all the electrical components. If you notice signs of damage, or if it’s been a while, it may be time to remove or replace your battery. While it’s not an overly complicated task, make sure you’re doing it right to avoid injury with a few tips from the Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles service center!
Batteries are powerful enough to power a car, which means they are also powerful enough to harm you. The most important step to replacing your battery is to wear insulated work gloves and safety goggles. Make sure your car is turned off, as running vehicles can produce a spark. After that:
- Get some zip ties or other form of restraint to keep the battery cables in their proper place. If they touch, it create sparks and become a fire hazard, so preventing them from touching is important.
- Cover the positive cable end with a cloth once it is removed to avoid the risk of metal-to-metal contact
- Take off any jewelry — including necklaces, watches, and bracelets — to prevent getting a shock if they come in contact with the battery.
- Ensure you’re in a well-ventilated area to prevent exposure to harmful gases.
If the terminal is fused, use a special battery cable removal tool to get it loose. You’ll find these available from the Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles parts departments and general auto parts stores.
Once you’ve properly prepared, follow these steps to safely remove your battery:
- Find the negative terminal. It should have a black plastic cover or a minus sign and will be located either on the post or in close proximity.
- Take hold of the bolt head of the negative terminal with a wrench or pliers and hold it still.
- Use other pliers or wrench to remove the nut, then pull off the negative cable and secure it away from the battery.
- Repeat the above step for the positive cable, taking care that the two battery cables do not touch
- If the battery is held by a securing bracket, use your pliers or wrench to take out the screws and bolts that hold it in place.
- Lift the battery straight out of the bracket. Keep in mind that it may weigh up to 40 pounds.
Learn More at Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles
For more information on how to safely remove your car battery, or for other helpful maintenance tips and tricks like how to change your oil, take the trip from Springfield or Alexandria to Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles! If you have any questions, be sure to contact us.
More from Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles
If your transmission on your last legs in Tysons Corner, you might be getting ready for a hefty transmission cost at thousands of dollars. Depending on your vehicle and transmission type (CVT, automatic, or manual transmission) the price can vary widely, but generally, a new transmission ranges between $1,800 and $3,400. On top of that, labor…
Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles is proud to be the chosen Volkswagen dealership in the Tysons Corner area. We’ll get you behind the wheel of the vehicle that fits your lifestyle the best while sticking to your budget. We’ll also offer some activities that are family fun in Sterling, VA. Here is a guide to all of the fun activities…
The 2019 Volkswagen Jetta interior has been revamped for the new year, and it’s new and improved interior features make every Tysons Corner drive more enjoyable than ever. Packed with features like VW Car-Net® and the Volkswagen Digital Cockpit, the Volkswagen Jetta comes ready for driving. Learn more at Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles! Learn More New Inventory Here are a few…
If you have a Volkswagen model in Tysons Corner and want to enhance its performance on the roads, you have several options to choose from, including genuine Volkswagen parts and accessories, and aftermarket Volkswagen performance parts. Learn more below then reach out to the Lindsay Volkswagen of Dulles parts center to ask about available parts near you! Parts Center Genuine Volkswagen…
When you’re looking to get a new vehicle for your Tysons Corner commutes, you might be asking what the best financial path to take is. The answer is finding out what works best for you in terms of leasing vs. buying. While there are benefits of leasing and benefits of financing, the decision is ultimately based…
The 2019 Volkswagen Atlas is a great midsize family vehicle for the Sterling, VA roads, and not just for its interior comforts and conveniences. The Volkswagen Atlas specs provide you with plenty of features you’ll enjoy, and the VW Atlas performance and towing capacity provide more reasons why you’ll want to bring this model home…